Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
A Few Do's and Don'ts
After your home or business faces water damage, whether that be from unexpected leaks or flooding, SERVPRO of Oak Ridge is ready to respond and ready to restore. While you wait for our SERVPRO professionals to arrive, there are a few steps you can take before help arrives to minimize further damage.
- Your safety is always the most important concern. Cautiously inspect the area for any environmental hazards or threats and make note of these instances.
- Water is a conductor of electricity. If possible, shut off electric supply and disconnect all electronic devices.
- Remove furniture, wall hangings or any loose items in the affected area. Rugs, books and any personal items should be moved as soon as possible to avoid mold damage.
- Clean up excess water using available air conditioning, fans, dehumidifiers and mops. Opening doors and windows can also improve ventilation and circulation.
Use these tips to guide you through cleaning up while you wait for assistance to arrive, and always remember to use caution because items damaged by water can become extremely heavy.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (865) 483-3911
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.